Let's be honest, Chicago has dozens of steakhouses which can arguably be listed in any "best of" list. Some of that is the city's undeniable love affair with a good cut of meat. We're a hard-working, beef and potatoes kind of city. But we also happen to be one of the country's leading cultural centers. So coming up with a list here can be an eclectic affair - we have restaurants with history, buzz, elegance, style, and, of course, delicious meals.
- Gene & Georgetti. You can not get any more old school elegance than Gene & Georgetti's. This Chicago treasure was established in 1941 and the restaurant is still family owned - the current owners are the children of "Georgetti". Among their many accolades, Gene & Georgetti's was the first Chicago Steakhouse ever to receive the coveted DiRona Award. Besides the obvious history of hosting some of the most well known local and national celebrities through the 20th and 21st centuries, they also offer a world class dining experience with a truly neighborhood vibe. No matter how successful the restaurant became, they never lost that family feel where regulars feel at home and first time diners are made right at home.
- Bavette's Bar and Boeuf. Bavette's offers fantastic ambiance and a French flair. The decor is warm and inviting and they feature jazz music to set the mood. The menu pays homage to traditional French cuisine with an excellent wine list and fully stocked bar. The menu itself is decadent, with rich dishes and, of course, world class cuts of meat.
- Gibson's. For the traditional American steakhouse, Gibson's is high on the list. This is probably the most recommended steakhouse in Chicago, seeing locals and tourists on a regular basis. When you want a great, and large, cut of steak cooked just impeccably - Gibson's is the place to go. There are other things on the menu, but the real treat here is an upscale dining experience for the traditional American steak lover.
- Chicago Chop House. This restaurant can best be described as a walk back in time to the Chicago of yesteryear. The restaurant is located in a Victorian brownstone and no detail was missed in the decoration and restoration of the building. You simply feel as if you stepped back in time 100 years or so. To add more Chicago pride to the experience, the walls are lined with historical photos. But the menu, the menu is where the real treat lies with the Chicago Chop House. With a wide selection of cuts, even the rare to find and delicious Mishima, any palate will be satisfied at this steakhouse.
- Morton's. Morton's is an experience everyone should try at least once. With a fine selection of wines, decadent desserts, and a staff who can lead diners through the selection with knowledgeable suggestions, they offer more than a steak - they offer an event. One thing that sets Morton apart is that they actually let you choose your meal. They bring out a cart so that you can choose the steak and even lobster they will prepare. Everything is as fresh as can be at Morton's. It's a treat that's well worth the expense.
There are dozens of fine restaurants throughout the city where you can order a wonderful meal. But if you're looking for a higher end establishment that specializes in steak, any of these options are sure to please.